Here are just a few of my favorite pieces from the National Gallery:
John Constable -- Cenotaph to the Memory of Sir Joshua Reynolds
Pierre-Auguste Renoir -- At the Theater (1876)
Jean-Baptiste Perronneau -- Jacques Cazotte (1760-5)
Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun (a woman artist!) -- Self Portrait in a Straw Hat (1782)
Georges Seurat -- Le Bec du Hoc, Grandcamp (1885)
Theo van Rysselberghe -- Coastal Scene (1892)
Akseli Gallen-Kailela -- Lake Keitele (1905)
John Constable -- Salsibury Cathedral and Leadenhall from the River Avon
Claude Monet -- The Thames below Westminster (1871)
Claude Monet -- Water-Lilies, Setting Sun (1907)
Peter Paul Rubens -- A Lion Hunt (1614)
Bartolome Esteban Murillo -- A Peasant Boy leaning on a Sill (1670-80)
Raphael -- The Madonna of the Pinks (1506-7)
Leonardo da Vinci -- The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne and Saint John the Baptist (1500)
Jacopo Tintoretto -- Saint George and the Dragon (1555)
Paolo Uccello-- Saint George and the Dragon (1479)
El Greco -- The Adoration of the Name of Jesus (1578)
Sassoferrato -- The Virgin in Prayer, The Virgin and Child Embracing (1609-85)
Bartolome Esteban Murillo -- The Heavenly and Earthly Trinities (1675)
Luca Giordano -- Perseus turning Phineas and his Followers to Stone
Now, I don't usually condone mocking of great works of art. There is always some level of understanding and beauty people can find in pieces painted hundreds of years ago . . . but I'll admit, this is just in here so I show it to Marissa. :D
I love the National Gallery. I love taking my time and finding the pieces I connect with, reading the plaques, and standing back and looking for a good chunk of time. Like with museums, its almost impossible to comprehend all the history and culture I have available before me -- for free.
After the gallery and a beautiful lunch of Nandos (I took Alexis for the first time and now she's hooked. Success.), we saw our first film! Florence Foster Jenkins, a really fun and touching film starring Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant about the worst opera singer in New York's history. We had a cool discussion about pride and love and how each can be expressed in different ways and be confining/freeing. It had a little bit of the American-Idol-audition cringe, but mostly I admired Florence and her true love of music and believe in its power to heal and reach others.
And with this fabulous Monday, we launch the busiest week of the program!























No comments:
Post a Comment