That morning we had a nice lie-in and headed out for the museum at 10. The museum has been closed for the last couple weeks in preparation for the 100 anniversary of World War I, and we were lucky enough to go on the exact anniversary of when Austria declared war on Serbia.
Just inside the museum was a huge atrium filled with planes. It was spectacular!
We all got tickets (free) to the World War I exhibit, and I wasn't sure if I could take pictures, so I didn't take many. But here's a model ship! And some cool stamps!
The very top floor of the museum!
The WWI exhibit was incredible, even if it was filled with too many people. Lots of pushy kids. But it was still mind blowing to see so much history. The exhibit effectively used media and was very powerful in its trench-like design and non-glass, approachable feel. After that we went through the Holocaust exhibit they have, which was intense. There were some pictures I couldn't look at, but the documentaries of the survivors that were playing were incredible. I watched with mixed feelings of fascination and horror. It was tough doing both exhibits, along with the rest of the museum, in one go. At a certain point, you lose the ability to read plaques and the fact that war even exists disgusts you and stops registering. Though it was mentally and emotionally exhausting, the museum was fantastic.
Here was something that I thought was cool--this is a piece of metal from the World Trade Center. It was strange to see something that I feel is part of my personal history in a British museum... It reminded me that 9/11 effected more than just Americans.
I grabbed some lunch with people afterwards (chocolate milkshake for me!) and we went down some emergency stairs in order to beat the crowds at the elevators. We went through this fun, tiny doorway. :D
Then we finally went out to Indian food with Jeff and his family! It was delicious! I just got the standard chicken curry and rice, but it was very very good. I wish the price and quantity was a little more equal...but it was tasty! However, Jeff lost track of time and we BARELY made it to the BBC Proms concert at Royal Albert Hall. We had to run up the stairs all the way to the top. But we made it!! And it was fabulous! They played Mozart and Ravel and one other composer who I can't remember (I'm horrible!) and it was beautiful. All of it was amazing, but I remember the releases, the silences in the Ravel piece were incredible. Each one was so unexpected and perfectly executed...ah! Goosebumps! I love concerts! Music is the most amazing thing. And it's incredible that I've lived within walking distance of the ROYAL ALBERT HALL for 6 weeks. :D









No comments:
Post a Comment