Sunday, July 27, 2014

Courtald Gallery and OUaT in China

Last Monday! (Sunday was just normal--chilling, blogging, and homework)

For breakfast we decided to go back to Speedy's Café! That's the café in BBC's Sherlock that 221B is right next to. It was good! Cheap, greasy, good café food. I'd definitely go there again.





Lots of mirrors! And whilst waiting for our food, Neeko came up with a silly game in which you pull a face, then look in the mirror at the same time. It was hilarious.
 


 
Yum! The cheddar bacon burger was satisfactory and cheap. I'm really craving a Wendy's or Training Table burger though.
 
After breakfast/brunch, we went to Courtauld Gallery! I really liked it, mostly because of the size. The picture below is all the buildings, the gallery is only a small section. Very manageable and enjoyable.


Here are my favorites!


The Violincellist at the Moulin de la Galette by Kees van Dongen
I like this one because of the use of paint. You could still see the canvas in some spots, and the texture and thickness of the paint was incredible to see in person. And it's also kinda like pointillism, but with dollops of paint.


Man in a Boat by Georges Seurat
I love this one. It is only a couple inches larger in dimension than a postcard, but its incredible. I love how you can see the brush strokes and how the direction of the brush strokes is so important and obvious.


The Outskirts of Pont Aven by Pierre Auguste Renoir
This one is just pretty. :] I like the pastels, and unfortunately I couldn't find a very good internet copy. The atmosphere in this painting feels just like a breezy summer day.

One of our group was sick with the cold and couldn't come with us to Speedy's. :{ So we brought him orange juice! Him and two other boys from our program live in a different complex from the rest of us up by Hyde Park. And to tell you the truth, I'm jealous! Even though they have to walk further, their view is spectacular and they can study in the park anytime they want. They also have roof access! What?!



Orange juice delivered and well-wishes wished, we headed to the park to get some much needed homework done.





I was very content indeed. I had my music and a Tootsie Pop. And I was writing on T.S. Spivet, one of my favorite movies we've seen so far. Life was good.


 
 
That night at the BFI we saw Once Upon a Time in China, parts 1 and 2. Back to back. Five hours of film. Yep...but it was actually fantastic! Starring Jet Li and kung fu! It was sooo good! I really really enjoyed it. I wish I could have machinegun-like feet and do the No Shadow Kick. So sweet!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment