Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Crucible

Saturday!

So I completely forgot to blog about this last Sunday, but I spent around 3 hours online trying to find cheap Lion King tickets for me and Kaitlin to go to. I had no luck finding any for under 40 pounds, when Kaitlin suggested we look at the Crucible tickets. Me, being the amazing smart person I am, found discounted tickets for 12 pounds each, with pretty good seats. SO I BOUGHT THEM. :D :D :D AND YESTERDAY I SAW IT!!!

 
Why, is that Richard Armitage, you ask? YES. YES IT IS. And he was INCREDIBLE. :D :D :D He's one of my favorite actors of all time, and I got to see him perform in person!!! It was an experience of a lifetime.  Honestly, so good.
 
Did you happen to take a *COUGHCOUGH* not allowed *COUGHCOUGH* picture of the theater? Well...
 
 
*eye brow waggle* :D LOOK HOW CLOSE WE WERE!!! :D :D :D
 
I'm really not a rule breaker, but I couldn't resist. It was a theater in the round, so we got a good view of everything. They were mostly-ish projecting away from us, but we got some key scenes aimed at us. They were excellent seats, especially for 12 pounds.
 
Before the play, we went and split a pepperoni, olive, tomato, and mozzarella crepe, made our way over to the theater, found out we were too early to pickup our tickets, wandered through a bookstore and the market nearby, bought an éclair and Greggs and ate it in a park right next to the theater.
 


 
Then we got our tickets, sat down in our better-than-expected seats, and waited anxiously for the show to start. Since the staging had to be downplayed in order for a good 360 view, the lighting was key in setting the stage and atmosphere. Man, they did a spectacular job. It felt like we were sucked into1692 colonial Massachusetts. Lots of blacks and grays, and the rare uncovering of the girls' acted as the splashes of colors. They pumped fog into the theater, so the lighting was very concrete and the atmosphere was close and warm feeling.
 
When the actors started coming on stage, I of course was looking for Richard Armitage. I saw a man and thought "That's him! No, calm down Amanda! That's probably not him..." Then the man turned his head so his profile stood out, and it was definitely him. Cue me hitting Kaitlin and squeezing her hand. Discreetly of course...
 
Pretty much, I'm in love with this play and have really liked it ever since we studied it junior year. John Proctor is such a great hero, and I love the issues this play brings up. And the writing! Sheesh, I mean, I knew what was going to happen and I was still sitting on the edge of my seat and watching between my fingers. The tension was incredible. The play is so thought-provoking and wonderful, bringing up issues of religion, gender, religious authority, God's existence, race, fear, morality, eternal consequence...the list goes on.
 
It was incredible. And I got to see this man, one of my top actors, give the "But it's my name!" speech.
 
 
 
*sigh* Life really is good.
 
Then I power walked from the Old Vic theater all the way to the Globe to watch Titus Andronicus...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment