Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Red Shoes

I'm getting so close to being caught up! :D :D :D

Tuesday!

Like every Tuesday and Thursday, I went to class from 9-12. Yesterday I was so tired though, and I may or may not have fallen asleep...

After class, Kaitlin and I had an adventure day!! We went to Chinatown in pursuit of these fried chicken skewer things, but they were sold out. :'{ So sad! So we went to a noodle place, which was ok. Typical cheap Chinese food, unfortunately. After that we went to the National Gallery again so Kaitlin could see the Van Gogh's and my favorite paintings. :]

In case you were wondering, here are a couple of my favorites:


Saint Sebastian by Gerrit Van Honthorst, 15th c.

 
The Painter's Daughters with a Cat by Thomas Gainsborough
(this is an unfinished painting because the cat died)


The Archers by Sir Henry Raeburn


The Thames Below Westminster by Monet
 
 
Saint George and the Dragon by Gustave Moreau
 
I love these paintings for many reasons, but mostly because I was able to walk around this incredible museum and quietly contemplate and examine them for as long as I wanted. As stunning as they are on the computer, they're even more stunning in person. And you can see these for free.
 
After the National Gallery we went to Harrods again (Kaitlin hadn't been) and had a grand time looking at things. We bought a salted caramel brownie to split. YUM.
 

 
We also looked through a Waterstones bookstore, went to Gregg's for chicken bakes, and bought some things (shhhh!). All in all, a wonderful day out.
 
Then! Then I went to the BFI to watch the Red Shoes (1948). I know I've been flipping out about practically everything I've seen so far, but guys. GUYS. This film was so phenomenal. I...I don't even know how to start describing it. The score was INCREDIBLE, the ballet was beautiful, the acting was amazing, the locations of London and Paris were awesome....the tie-in of the Hans Christian Anderson tale was intricate and meaningful, and the ending was so heartbreaking and thought-provoking. I kept thinking at different parts, I can't wait to write a paper on this! I DEFINITELY want to own this film. I've been thinking about it ever since.
 
It was the perfect way to end the day. I wish I could go and see it again right now.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment