Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Tate Britain and T.S. Spivet

Last Wednesday!

A grand day, all in all. In the morning we went to the Tate Britain, an art museum. It was fabulous! They had whole galleries devoted to artists.

 
 

Here are some of my favorites:

Liverpool Quay by Moonlight - Atkinson Grimshaw
 
Toil, Glitter, Grime and Wealth - William Lionel Wyllie
 
The Porch of St. Maclou, Rouen - David Roberts
 
Master Crewe as Henry VIII
(I love this one because it was great to see art mimicked, even in 1775!)
 
Petworth Park: Tillington Church - JMW Turner
 
"An Evening Effect:" Trees at Knockholt - JMW Turner
 
Death on a Pale Horse - JMW Turner
 
Lament for Icarus - Herbert Draper
 
The Great Way of His Wrath - John Martin
 
The Plains of Heaven - John Martin
 
Jeez, those got a little dark at the end... Some of these paintings were massive though, especially the last couple. Some, like the Turners, were smaller but all the more impressive for it. It's frustrating that an internet picture comes no where near the experience of viewing the actual painting. Clearly I like bold paintings with a strong source of light and strong character. I guess I have a flair for the dramatic. :D
 
After the gallery, some girls and I found a little sandwich shop called The Relish Sandwich. It was fabulous! Cheap and yummy. I got a chicken, bacon, and avocado sandwich on a roll-ish wheat bread. Kaitlin recommended that I try Juicy Water, so I also grabbed one of those. It was delicious.


 
Our view of the museum as we sat and ate lunch.
 
Then that night we went back to the Cine Lumiere to watch the Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet. Before getting into the film, I forgot to post these pictures of the theater! It has a French video/book library that was spectacular!



 
We felt very sophisticated sitting in the library loft. :D

 
T.S. Spivet was really great. I loved the look and feel of the film--bright colors, a whimsical, children's book-esque feel, and an idealized American West. It was a wonderful heartfelt film, and I would recommend it to all. Although....there might be versions out there that have 3 f-words...ours had two. But the rest of the film was completely clean, it was just for shock/comical value. I hate that so much, but what can you do. *shrugs*
 
THEN. After the film, we had a roommate slumber party! How was it different from every other night of roommate sleeping, you ask? Three things: treats, movie, and middle-school throwback games. Popcorn, lemonade, and cake made up the treats, Lizzie McGuire was the movie, and a card version of MASH and facebook shenanigans were the games. We exacted our punishment on Neeko for leaving his facebook logged in by creating a fake profiled named Beatrice Butts and making her his girlfriend. :D hahahahahaha SO IMMATURE. But great fun, I must say. And he played along with the joke quite beautifully. It was a very fun night and we all laughed until our faces hurt. Another fabulous Wednesday across the pond!

No comments:

Post a Comment